– I wasn’t going to do a proper list of the best albums of 2006, but I was about to write about a few I recommend. Altogether, though, I’ve decided that I can’t be bothered. The main thing that has struck me about the mass of 2006 lists you can find on the internet is the relative dearth of shouts for Johnny Cash’s “American V: A Hundred Highways.” I would have expected that to feature in a lot more of them than it actually has.
– Similarly on an ‘albums from last year’ note, I proclaim Grails’ “Black Tar Prophecies Vols. 1, 2 & 3” to be the shade to the light of The Eagles’ recording of “Journey Of The Sorcerer” (i.e. the “Hitchhikers” theme). No, really. Stay with me on this one. Both are necessary for a full and complete life.
– I’m no longer anything to do with TheCommunion.co.uk. No hard feelings on either side, I just feel that over time it (as an entity) and myself have grown far enough apart as to have little in common anymore. I wish Al’n’El nothing but the best (and I may as well plug their label, while I’m here).
– So, this “Mel Gibson’s Apocalypto” is apparently a real film. I can’t remember where I first heard the title, but isn’t it just the most Troy McClure-esque name you’ve ever heard?
– I know that rumours on this subject have been a-plenty for a good while now, but a little bird tells me that the UFC will be running a card at the Manchester M.E.N. on the 29th of April. I gather it’s set to be confirmed in the very near future. Pounce on tickets fast if you’re interested, I can see them going quickly.
~ Russ L, realising three days later that he hadn’t put a sign-off message at the end and editing accordingly.